Swansea Castle to open for first time in decades
History hunters will soon be able to access Swansea Castle for the first time in a generation
Castle Square, Swansea
Swansea Council is behind plans to temporarily open up the castle for public viewings on September 9 and September 10.
Visitors will for the first time in at least 40 years be able to access parts of the castle including the whole of the first floor, several vaulted rooms of the medieval castle and the cells of the 18th Century prison.
The access is being made possible thanks to funding worth £165,000 from the Welsh Government.
The funding meant experts were able to clear the castle courtyard of debris, undertake vital archaeological work and expose the historic attraction's medieval layers.
Around 700 places were made available for castle tours on September 9 and September 10. Twenty four tours are to be held over the course of the two days with a maximum of 30 people per tour.
Please note that tickets are now sold out!
Other temporary opening days will then be planned in future.
Cllr Chris Holley, Swansea Council Leader, said: "Swansea Castle has a rich history and is located right in the heart of the city centre.
"It's been inaccessible for decades but this work means many people will be able to discover the castle for the very first time.
"It's hugely important that we conserve our history and the long-term vision is that the castle could become a centrepiece for tourism in the city centre area.
"This news follows wonderfully in the wake of the re-opening of Oystermouth Castle a bit earlier this summer."
Huw Lewis, Minister for Housing, Regeneration and Heritage at the Welsh Government, said: "I'm pleased that we have been able to support the re-opening of Swansea Castle. The castle has played an important part in Swansea's history and it's important that visitors can learn more about the city's proud history and enjoy their heritage."
Swansea Castle was founded in about 1106 by Henry de Beaumont who was later given the Lordship of Gower by King Henry I. It originally consisted of earthworks and timber defences.
After various unsuccessful attacks by the Welsh, the castle fell in 1217 but was restored to the English in 1220 and, after this, the inner castle was probably walled in stone with at least one tower.
William de Braose built the new castle that survives today at the end of the 13th Century as a set of private apartments for his family and himself that was later crowned by its distinctive battlements. The building has served many purposes over the centuries including a barracks and a drill hall.
Surrounding buildings were badly damaged in the blitz of 1941 but today you can still see the tower containing the debtor's prison and William de Braose's new castle built within a corner of a walled bailey.